Monday, June 15, 2026

blinded by science

My opthalmologist recommended Intense Pulsed Light for my dry eyes. It's expensive, not covered by insurance, needs to be repeated regularly, and doesn't have a good enough evidence base for me to feel comfortable trying it when my job is unstable. But at a follow-up appointment (which I almost walked out of because I was in the waiting room for so long), they recruited me into a study which would let me get it for free!

I am paying in other ways though. The testing hurts, it's lots of appointments with long wait times, and the amniotic membrane they're studying was excruciatingly painful for the first day and required me to keep my eye taped shut all weekend. But I'm doing something useful for science and, if nothing else, should learn whether the IPL is worth doing again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment